What effect does telomere length have on my health and wellness?
Age adjusted telomere length is the best method to date to assess biological age using structural analysis of chromosomal change in the telomere. Serial evaluation of telomere length is an indicator of how rapidly one ages relative to a normal population. Therapies directed at slowing the loss of telomere length may slow aging and age-related diseases.
Does diet have any effect on telomere length and repair?
An inflammatory diet, or one that increases oxidative stress, will shorten telomeres faster. This would include refined carbohydrates, fast foods, processed foods, sodas, artificial sweeteners, trans fats and saturated fats. A diet with a large amount and variety of antioxidants that improves oxidative defense and reduces oxidative stress will slow telomere shortening. Consumption of 10 servings of fresh and relatively uncooked fruits and vegetables, mixed fiber; monounsaturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids, cold water fish and high quality vegetable proteins can prevent premature shortening. In addition, caloric restriction is advised combined with an exercise program. Fasting for 12 hours each night at least 4 days per week may also be protective.
What lifestyle modifications are likely to be helpful?
One should achieve ideal body weight and body composition with low body fat (less than 22% for women and less than 16% for men). Decreasing visceral fat is very important. Regular aerobic and resistance exercise for at least one hour per day, sleeping for at least 8 hours per night, stress reduction, discontinuation of all tobacco products and bioidentical hormone replacement therapy may decrease the rate of telomere loss.
How do you measure telomere length?
The Patient Telomere Score is calculated based on the patient's telomere length on white blood cells (T-lymphocytes). This is the average compared to telomere length on lymphocytes from a sample of the American population in the same age range. The higher the telomere score, the "younger" the cells. A Telomere Score that is above the average line is desirable.
What can I do to reduce my rate of telomere loss?
Shorter telomeres have been associated with metabolic abnormalities, obesity and several degenerative diseases including cancer, dementia and cardiovascular disease. In vitro studies have shown that telomeres are highly susceptible to oxidative stress, which will shorten telomere length and enhance cellular aging. Minimizing associated risk factors that are linked to shortened telomere activity is recommended and include:
- Reduce oxidative stress
- Correct micronutrient deficiencies, especially vitamin D
- Change sedentary lifestyle/increase physical activity
- Avoid weight gain or obesity
- Correct insulin resistance
Studies have shown that telomere length is strongly associated with CVD risk, nutritional deficiencies (particularly antioxidants) and cancer and testing may be a useful biomarker for risk assessment.
|Reporting Time :||3 Days (From the day sample reaches our Lab)|
|Whole blood:||Send in EDTA Tubes (Purple Top Vacutainer)|
|Blood Spots||FTA Cards|
|Check Sample||Buccal Swabs|
At DNA Labs India, we are dedicated to quality DNA testing. We know that you need accurate, reliable results for such an important test, and we are committed to providing you with high quality DNA testing services. By choosing DNA Labs India, you will receive the highest quality, most conclusive results in the industry.
- AABB: The AABB is a United States-based professional body and standards organization that was founded in 1947 as the American Association of Blood Banks.
- NATA: The National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accreditation provides a means of determining, recognizing and promoting the competence of facilities to perform specific types of testing and provides formal recognition to competent testing facilities, thus providing a ready means for customers to identify and select reliable testing services.
- ISO 17025 is the global standard for the technical competence of calibration and testing labs
- The A2LA is the largest multi-discipline laboratory accreditation system in the United States and is recognized by Accreditation Bodies in the European Union and other International Communities.
- In light of the amendment of ISO 9001:2008, the International Accreditation Forum (IAF), the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) have issued a revised communiqué declaring that the management system requirements of ISO/IEC 17025 meet the principles of ISO 9001:2008.
- CAP: The College of American Pathologists, the principal organization of board-certified pathologists, serves and represents the interest of patients, pathologists, and the public by fostering excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine.
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) in 1988 establishing quality standards for all laboratory testing to ensure the accuracy, reliability and timeliness of patient test results regardless of where the test was performed.
- The International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) first started as a conference in 1977 with the aim of developing international cooperation for facilitating trade by promotion of the acceptance of accredited test and calibration results.
- FDA: Swabs and lancets are sterilized in accordance with ANSI/AMMI/ISO Guidelines and are validated as "sterile" by third party FDA registered facilities. You may have total confidence in knowing that the products used to collect your samples are in compliance with the strictest requirements in the world, ensuring your safety and personal health.
Collection Centers : Mumbai Delhi Kolkata Bangalore Chennai Ahmedabad Hyderabad Pune Kanpur Surat Jaipur Lucknow Nagpur Indore Bhopal Ludhiana Patna Vadodra Thane Agra Kalyan Dombivali Varanasi Nashik Meerut Faridabad Haora Pimpri Chinchwad Allahabad Amritsar Vishakhapatnam Ghaziabad Rajkot Jabalpur Coimbatore Madurai Srinagar Solapur Aurangabad Ranchi Jodhpur Gwalior Vijaywad Chandigarh Guwahati Hubli Dharwad Tiruchirappalli Trivandrum Mysore Navi Mumbai Jalandhar Bareilly Kota Salem Aligarh Bhubaneshwar Moradabad Gorakhpur Rajpur Bhiwandi Kochi Jamshedpur Bhilai Nagar Amravati Cuttack Bikaner Warangal Mira Bhayandar Guntur Bhavnagar Durgapur Asansol Ajmer Kolhapur Ulhasnagar Siliguri Saharanpur Dehradun Jamnagar Bhatpara Sangli Miraj Kupwad Kozhikode Nanded Waghala Ujjain Gulbarga Tirunelveli Malegaon Akola Belgaum Mangalore Udaipur Maheshtala Jhansi Gaya Nellore Jammu Jalgaon Davanagere Kollam gurgaon noida